HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ned Heite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 17:44:45 -0500
Since 1994, we have been working on a project for DelDOT, excavating and
researching a small house site in Duck Creek Hundred, Kent County,
Delaware, that was occupied at the end of the eighteenth century.

In the course of this research, it was necessary to understand the
community context in which the site existed. The community study led to
some conclusions, which are detailed in our report.

The biographical directory and the conclusion chapter of our Bloomsbury
report are now posted on our home page:

http://home.dmv.com/~eheite/Indians/mitsawoket.html

Check it out and let me have your feedback.

What we found:

Essentially, we have documented the continuous existence of a Native
American remnant community over 300 years. I believe that we have
conclusively shown that this community defended its existence as a distinct
lineage group, even when there were no "Indians" on the official record.
Moreover, it is obvious that the families recognized their Indian origins,
and that their non-Indian associates accepted this.

Because of the "invisible" nature of the population, historians have
mistakenly lumped them with "free blacks" during the ante-bellum period.
This lumping occurred when historians mistakenly interpreted the "free
persons of color" column in the census as meaning "free black."  Our study
shows conclusively that "free person of color" was not always Negro, and
that "mulatto" cannot be taken to indicate African ancestry.

As a result, we call into question virtually all the contemporary
historical scholarship that is based upon ante-bellum census enumerations
of "free persons of color" and references to "mulatto" individuals.

                                         Wool Camp in Iceland
    _____  Check out Icelandic wool:     May 15-22: Participants
___(_____) http://www.dmv.com/~iceland   learn about Icelandic
|_/ . \______/ . ||   in Iceland!        in mountain valleys.