HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 2004 09:23:48 -0400
Great lists!

I would add the sonic "Sonin" measuring model (once on exhibit in the Museum of Modern Art for design) that uses infrared and ultrasound, a transmitter and receiver to measure distances in the field for testing. It can measure up to 100' and is useful in overgrown areas where one can only see the next test. Marketed in New York, they've been around 15 years or so. Around $100.

Another item is a "needle bar" which is useful for breaking ground and rocks. It's usually over three feet long, made of iron, and pointed. Makes a good lever. Last one I bought for a company about $30.

Fiberglass and steel handles on shovels can be a good idea around "unknown" electrical services, the steel ones only steel through a section, the fiberglass ones pretty strong. Prices vary.

Incidently, there is a number of new products that are interesting for insect repellant. "Lemon-eucalyptus" pretty interesting, perhaps local mosquitos think it stinks! Another interesting thing that seems to help alleviate poison ivy rash is deodorant stick or ball rubbed on it, according to a my field friend who was told it by a pharmacist. It seems to work better than camphor, which many of the topical applications are. Of course after washing with Tecnu which was invented to remove ash after a nuclear explosion, the resulting "fallout" according to their "product endorsement". Another preventative or prophylactic is powdered sulphur in a sock. A gentleman told this to me on the Waverly Plantation, to bang the sock around one's shoes and ankles and the chiggers are repelled. Worked swell! Green "Army" looking can appeared in pharmacies after. Prices vary.

George Myers
2004-09-06