HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Laird Niven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 14:30:09 -0400
No controversy here I'm afraid. I have two artifacts which I would like
opinions on. They both come from a mid-19th century abandoned fishing
settlement just outside of Halifax, Nova Scotia.

The first artifact is a fragment of a yellow brick. The face is impressed
with the partial words "J.R. W..." and "TAUN...". The left hand side of the
brick is offset from the face by 5 degrees, has a rounded corner, and a
square indentation on its edge. Could this be related to a fireplace or
stove?

The second is a two-piece small copper alloy button (South's type 27). Its
face has an impressed cartouch consisting of a circle in which is a crowned
harp flanked by shamrocks. Along the edges of the button are the words "GOD
SAVE THE QUEEN" "REPEAL OF THE UNION". I believe it is referring to Daniel
O'Connell and his campaign for the repeal of the union between Great Britain
and Ireland. Any other opinions?

Thanks for your help.

Laird Niven
Coote Cove Archaeology Project