HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Marc Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 1995 09:49:11 -0800
I thought I should reply to the statements...

>I received this today in the mail.  It really disturbed me and I thought I
>should send it on to the rest of you.  I checked out the homepage.  It is
>virtual pot hunters exchange center.  It has ads for metal detectors, etc.

>I am extremely anti-treasurer hunting and am curious about everyone else's
>opinions.

People are motivated by different things, (isn't diversity a great thing?)
I'm motivated by finding chests of gold coins, emeralds, silver bars, antique
jewelry, in a word TREASURE.

Does that mean I'm a pot hunter?  Absolutely not.  Personally, I have
never pillaged a site.  I use the latest in remote sensing techniques,
(non destructive) and always call in qualified archaeologists when a discovery
is made.

The attitude above only serves to drive treasure hunters underground and
encourages pot hunting.  Archaeologists need to realize that treasure
hunters can do more good than harm if they are accepted as part of the
investigatory process, instead of black balled for their motivations.

I hope the Internet breaks the ice between treasure hunters and archaeologists,
because one thing's for sure, treasure hunters will be out there working,
with or
without the cooperation of the archaeologists.

I will clarify my position on this matter in my home page...

http://www.halcyon.com//treasur/trenet.html

Thanks,  Marc Austin