HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Genheimer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 2005 10:24:00 -0500
For museums its a different story.  We must glue to produce vessels for exhibition.  Sure, they take up more space in storage, but it clearly shows that we can reconstruct the smallest pieces into what they once were, and each sherd retains its provenience.  The shelf life of a B72 glued vessel is about 10 years, then they tend to degrade and fail.  Volunteers then clean (acetone) and re-glue the vessels.

Years ago, I remember an SHA conference where a pottery historian showed image after image of whole Carolina stoneware.  In the middle of the talk, he stopped and apologized that "we could break them into sherds in our minds if it made us feel more comfortable."  But, I tend to look at the sherds in my mind as a vessel, not as parts.

Bob Genheimer
George Rieveschl Curator of Archaeology
Cincinnati Museum Center
1301 Western Avenue