HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Sharyn A. Murray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2013 22:07:50 -0400
I did an illustration of the Tallio fox sleeve buttons recovered from
the wreck of the DeBraak (1798).

I am a member of a Maryland hunt so I consulted Baily's Hunting
Directory to look for any hunt insignia similar to the sleeve buttons.
The button of the Sinnington Hunt (established 1680) of North Yorkshire
is a possibility.  It features a running fox and Tallio.

Hunt buttons are awarded by the Master of the Hunt to those members who
have earned them.  Sleeve buttons & other accessories can be purchased
by those qualified to wear them.  However, there is a possibility that
"knockoffs" of genuine hunt buttons were sold to the general public in
the 18th & 19th centuries.

I am looking at the names of the officers of the DeBraak and their towns
of origin on the chance that one of them may have lived within
Sinnington Hunt territory in the 1790's.

Sharyn Murray