HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2013 01:23:26 -0600
There were/are quite a number of physical and chemical tests made by
prospectors and miners, to determine the metallic content of various
ores, that are facilitated by the use of small glass tubes. Just one of
dozens of such tests, this being a example of one used used by cinnabar
prospectors, is described here:

Phillips, Josiah Samuel [M.E.]
    1873   The explorers', miners', and metallurgists' companion. Second
Edition. Published by the author [Printed by Trü
<http://openlibrary.org/publishers/Tru%CC%88bner>bner, __San Francisco].

p195 "All the compounds of mercury, when fused with carbonate of soda,
at a moderate level, are decomposed and reduced to the metallic state,
which, arising in fumes, are again speedily condensed, at a slight
decrease of temperature; so that if cold gold is placed therein, the
amalgam thus formed on its surface evinces the presence of mercury. This
may be tested in a closed glass tube, held over a spirit lamp, or over a
clean piece of red-hot iron; and either a small strip of gold may be
held in the tube for amalgamation, or the cold tube may be rubbed with a
stick of clean wood, an iron wire, or glass rod, when the bright
mercury, by being thus scraped into ridges, may be seen on the glass.
This may be varied to suit your tools, as in an iron spoon, in a
tea-cup, etc. etc."