HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2011 21:49:48 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
Meli,
Please forgive me if my comments encouraged your honest question to take an silly direction. I do think you've asked a question that is bigger than just the use of a phrase and it deserves real consideration. Although a bit sarcastic, perhaps, I meant to point out the significance of the issue for us as archaeologists and anthropologists. I hope there is serious conversation about your question and I will refrain from silly responses, if I can.

Jeff

Jeffrey L. Boyer
Supervisory Archaeologist/Project Director
Office of Archaeological Studies, Museum of New Mexico

*   mail: P.O. Box 2087, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504
  *   physical: 407 Galisteo Street, Suite B-100, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87501
  *   tel: 505.827.6387 fax: 505.827.3904
  *   e-mail: [log in to unmask]

"This is no time for archaeologizing . . ." - Amelia Peabody Emerson (The Curse of the Pharoahs, Elizabeth Peters)

Sent: Friday, August 19, 2011 2:58 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Phrase Turn of the Century

I have a question about terminology or usage.The period around 1900 Ad used to be referred to simply as "the turn of the century."  Now that we have turned another century, it is necessary to specify which one.So, would the time around 1900 Ad be the turn of the 19th century or the turn of the twentieth century?
This question is apparently unclear to many.  For example, the wikipedia entry on this topic is still being hashed out.  So what do the historians/historical archaeologists on this list recommend?
Meli Diamanti

ATOM RSS1 RSS2