HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Sean winter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2012 08:59:07 +0800
I recently had a similar experience in Western Australia. I was contacted
by a local authority archaeologist who was concerned about a private
land-owner who had been excavating through the foundations of a 19th
century building located on his private property. The site was not
protected so the local authority was powerless to do anything about it. But
the guy had already got himself in the local paper and the local authority
were worried about other people digging over historical sites. Additionally
the site itself was potentially pretty important.

So we went and had a chat with the guy. It turns out he was an archaeology
enthusiast and was excavating with the best of intentions, but with no
knowledge of what he was doing. He wanted to find out what the structure
was. After discussions with the local authority archaeologist we decided
that we could do nothing, the result of which the site would be largely
destroyed by an amateur and we would learn nothing, or we could get
involved and salvage something from the process. We ended up doing the
latter. The result was that we excavated for a week, and gathered a large
amount of information about the structure. But most importantly we spent
time with the guy and his friends and managed to educate them as to why it
is important to do things properly, and we got ourselves in the local
papers spreading the same message to the community. We also used it as an
opportunity to train some students in excavation techniques. The end result
of running the dig was overwhelmingly positive for myself, the students,
the community and for the protection of heritage in that region.

My opinion is that you can take the higher moral ground and refuse to get
involved with amateurs, or you can take the pragmatic approach, accept that
people will dig with or without you, and get involved and try and get some
positive results out of it. My suggestion is that you negotiate some rules
before you get involved with this dig. If they want you to be in charge
that means they have to agree to do it your way. Insist that all excavators
need a bit of training if they are going to do things properly. Put a
couple of training "lectures" into the process that emphasise the
importance of preserving heritage rather than looting. Get them to agree
that all artefacts recovered get researched before being broken up and
handed out to people at the end. If they won't do this then don't be
involved.

Over the course of the dig the potential is that you can educate all of the
people participating as to why we do what we do, as well as getting
important salvage information. Most of them will realise that it isn't just
digging a hole, it's much harder than that, and will be less likely to go
digging on their own in future as a result. The potential good that comes
out of getting involved in this kind of thing outweighs the bad. Just make
sure you protect yourself by negotiating some ground rules first.

Hope this helps

Sean Winter