HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"L. D Mouer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 May 1997 10:54:31 -0400
Ned,

I picked up most of a bisque plate at the Sweeney-Norwich potteries off of
what I believe to be one of the oldest of waster piles out there. That
would put it in the late 1780s or 90s. If I had to characterize the "ware"
by the clay-body, I'd probably call it "creamware." In researching the
pottery some years ago (why am I always following your trails???) I
encountered a letter from our old friend David Meade Randolph to his
nephew, the fourth Richard Randolph of Curles. Davies warned him to stop
his foolish attempts to start a "porcellain manufactory" and to do
something useful like a tannery. While we have found a few utilitarian
earthenwares at the sites, it is, as you know, mainly tons and tons of s-g
stoneware. Nonetheless, in one of the older dumps, with the gorgeous
incised stoneware, there was this bisque plate.

We have also revovered a bunch of bisque whitewares from a mid-19th-c
pottery near Hopewell, Va. There is a waster dump on the banks of the
James at Jordan's Point.

The late 18th c and early 19th c was a time when lots of folks tried their
hands at beating out the English pottery trade. A few--like the Trenton
works-- succeeded, but most failed. Wonder if you have the results of yet
another local experiment?

Dan Mouer