HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Chris Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 15:35:25 -0500
Drs. Varman & Ross,
        Thanks to both of you for the illustrations and bibliography.  We at
Augusta State University (in Augusta, Georgia - on TV when the Master's
Golf Tournament is played next week) have been trying for about the last
year and a half to expand our reference collection on ceramics (found
some undisturbed trash pits with early 19th century ceramics associated
with the US arsenal which occupied the site [1826-1955], although
nothing like as much as Dr. Varman's privy pits).  Our experi- ence has
been that a number of the classic works are out of print and Xerox
copies of china photographs just aren't all one would like for ceramic
identification.

        If any other members of the list know of similar high quality
illustrations of post 1800 English ceramic wares, I would certainly like
to hear of them, and I will look forward to the additional material Dr.
Varman plans to put on his site.

        Thanks again for making our work easier,

        Chris Murphy

        Christopher P. H. Murphy, Ph.D.
        Associate Professor of Anthropology
        Augusta State University