HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
William Moss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 16:03:05 -0500
Has anyone any experience using a proton magnetometer in an urban setting,
particularly over roadbeds?

We have recently used ground penetrating radar on several different sites.
The results can be useful, but they are generally difficult to interpret
without test trenching. We would like to supplement the ground-penetrating
radar with other means of geophysical prospecting in zones where it is not
feasible to do trenching, notably on high-traffic city streets. A proton
magnetometer survey would seem to be one possibility.

Please note that we have considered the question of doing core-samples, but
we want to fully investigate the question of non-invasive testing first.

We would appreciate any comments or references to the question.

Thanks in advance for your help.

William Moss
Archeologue principal
Design et patrimoine