HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Vergil E. Noble" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:56:35 -0500
Tim,

This seems to be a case of an historian who has felt for some time that
someone is trespassing upon her legitimate research domain and, what's
more, an archaeologist is taking credit for earlier historical research
that she did. One can hardly expect footnotes in a news article, of course,
and never did Paul say in the article that he was the sole individual who
has looked at the census records or that he didn't consult secondary
sources. When I talk about French Colonial archaeology I draw upon
everything I've ever read on the history of France in North America as
background, but I don't interject the names of a dozen historians when
giving a oral presentation to the public or being interviewed by a
reporter.

That fact that her role in researching the site was not mentioned in the
article is hardly surprising for a campus paper reporting about a
university professor's current research. Paul also has several key
collaborators on the project team, none of whom was mentioned either, but
then they aren't on the Maryland faculty and probably would be of no
interest to the readers. Further, there is no reason I know of to believe
that, when the time comes for the archaeological research to be written up
formally, her work will not be cited or given credit where it is due.
Although I am certainly not aware of any objective facts in this matter,
her specific complaints revolving around allegations of plagiarism would
seem premature at best.

I am far more troubled by the more general charge that he is guilty of the
"usurpation of a black historic topic" and the suggestion that there is
nothing he could possibly learn about New Philadelphia or its people that
she has not already gleaned from her careful research into primary sources.

vergil

                      Timothy James
                      Scarlett                 To:       [log in to unmask]
                      <[log in to unmask]        cc:       (bcc: Vergil Noble/MWAC/NPS)
                      >                        Subject:  Fwd: [ArchTheoMeth] Plagarism or just a
                      Sent by:                  tempest in a teapot?
                      HISTORICAL
                      ARCHAEOLOGY

                      09/22/04 03:28 PM
                      AST
                      Please respond to
                      HISTORICAL
                      ARCHAEOLOGY

Mark Hall sent this link to the ArchTheoMeth list.  I found the
implications of this discussion somewhat disturbing.  I think everyone
on Histarch might read this with equal disquiet.  In the first article,
Tom Howell (presumably a student reporter) discussed Paul Shackel's
research at New Philadelphia.  In the second, which was presumably a
letter to the editor about that article, Juliet K. Walker takes issue
with Paul's work.  Much in the letter confused me, since Dr. Walker's
comments seem to attribute several of Howell's phrases to Paul.
Indeed, I consider several of Paul's comments to be standard rhetorical
tools for archaeologists interacting with the popular media (i.e.
rediscovering).  At the same time, Dr. Walker seems to have read Paul's
NSF proposal text.  I'm not posting this to Histarch to embarrass Paul,
although I hope he might comment, but rather because I see such clear
parallels to my work with Mormon communities and so many other
situations we historical archaeologists regularly encounter.
Howell's first article:
http://www.inform.umd.edu/News/Diamondback/archives/2004/09/09/
news5.html
Dr. Walker's reply: