HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Tremblay Roland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 1995 10:29:18 -0400
I'm looking for any information on 17th and 18th century lead (or
other metal) weights
that might be present in the Northeastern part of the continent.
The ones I know are disk shaped, sometimes with one side presenting a
smaller diameter than the other, like the truncated base of a cone.
Some are also marked with official impressions, and/or numeric information.
The range I know of go from one ounce to two pounds.
They seem common in New France contexts.  How about New England, or early
french colonies south of the border?

Thanks,

Roland Tremblay
Departement d'anthropologie