HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Timothy Scarlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Oct 2005 17:28:16 -0400
Great question Marty!

I have semi-conscientiously used slag to refer to both metal smelting
waste from both blast furnace and bloomery furnace production, as
well as the waste from coal burning.  I often modify the latter term
with "coal slag" while iron production slag is merely "slag."  I know
that many people use the term clinker to refer to coal ash and
reserve the term "scale" for ash, carbonized bone, and other junk
from wood fires.  I've pulled down my handy copy of Chambers'
Dictionary of Science and Technology (1999).  It looks like, at least
as far as the engineers are concerned, Clinker is the preferred term
for coal burning waste and Slag for metal production waste.  I don't
particularly care for their definition of Klinker Brick, since many
builders and archaeologists use the term "Clinker brick" to refer to
over-fired and warped brick from the heart of a clamp or updraft kiln
which are deformed during manufacture.  They are often used inside of
walls, but not showing on a wall's surface, where better bricks were
used (Except during the Arts and Crafts movement).  I have not come
across a term yet for the overfired, glazed, vitrified, and runny
mess that forms on the brick surface in a kiln or furnace.  I'd like
to hear what others think.  I've honestly come to call the stuff
"goop" because I don't want to apply an incorrect term.

pages 1061:

Slag (Engineering) The top layer of the two-layer melt formed during
smelting and refining operations.  In smelting it contains the gangue
minerals and the flux; in refining, the oxidized impurities.  See
figure at Blast Furnace.

Slag Cement (Civil Engineering) An artificial cement made by
granulating slag from blast furnaces by chilling it in water and then
grinding it with lime, to which it imparts hydraulic properties.

Slag Wool (Engineering) Fibrous material very similar to fiber glass
but made from slag produced by an iron blast furnace as distinct from
silicate glass.

page 219:

Clinker (Engineering) Incombustible residue, consisting of fused ash,
raked out from coal- or coke-fired furnaces; used for road-making and
as aggregate for concrete.  See Breeze Block.

Clinkers (Building) See Klinker Brick

p. 647

Klinker Brick (Building) A very hard type of brick much used in
Holland and Germany, principally for paving purposes.

Cheers,
Tim