HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Benjamin Pykles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 2004 09:27:32 -0400
The Jonathon Browning Home and Gun Shop was excavated in the 1970s by Dale Berge
of Brigham Young University. He has written a nice article about the excavations
and restoration of the site in which this underground cistern is discussed. If
my memory serves me well, the cistern/well is dug into the floor of a root
cellar, which sits beneath one wing of the structure.

The full reference to the article is:

Berge, Dale L., "The Jonathan Browning Site: An Example of Archaeology for
Restoration in Nauvoo, Illinois" (1979), 19:2:201.

You can purchase a copy of this issue for $3.00 at:

https://byustudies.byu.edu/productitem.asp?id=120&type=6

Good luck.

Benjamin C. Pykles
University of Pennsylvania