HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 15:00:08 -0400
Myers not Meyers wrote (I'm embarrassed by the name sometimes as one was the
Quartermaster General of the Confederate Army so I get upset by the spelling,
of course there's Fort Myers, Thomas A. Edison's winter home, named before
the Civil War) about the "Trail of Tears"

I've thought of the "Trail of Tears" and although the Hudson starts at the
"Lake Tear in the Clouds" I think correctly the "Tuscarora Trail" is in the
Appalachias not "Trail of Tears" but my thought on seeing the toponym was an
identification with another, and this possible the "first." It is part of the
Appalachian Trail, but I think in part it is not part of the National Trail
where part of it is in Pennsylvania. A history of the trail might show them
together. Recent TV shows on pre-Columbian contacts allege a mountain top
highway system stretching up and down the Appalachias, as evidenced by
certain contestable petroglyphs attributed to the Old World.

I thank those who supplied the references to the scholarship about the
history of the Iroquois League Having met the "chief of chief,"
("ta-dah-teh-ho") "Chief Shenandoah" of their Council while working at
Grossman & Associates, Inc. and studied with Mohawk linguist Nancy
Bonvillain, Ph.D., at Stony Brook University, where she was once "Chairman,"
I appreciate the information that in my former studies did not exist. Her
Mohawk dictionary, I have only seen publicly displayed in Canada, not in
Albany, NY. Maybe someone on this list will correct me if that is not true, I
have not been in the NY State Museum (under renovation I hear) in a few
years. I find it embarrassing that a once "Chairman" of a State University of
New York's Anthropology Department's work is only available at museums in
Canada.

The Council was involved with a site Joel W. Grossman, Ph.D., had worked on
near Fort Edward, NY and part of negotiations involved members of the
Council, to get approval of the site report. Also, Dr. Grossman attempted to
get medical care to the Chief who had a dizzy spell and fell while speaking
at an environmental conference in Brazil on behalf of the Earth.
Unfortunately, the Chief, a life-long lacrosse fan and coach and of the
Onondaga Nation passed on. Like many "chiefs," the woman who led the
Shinnecock, "Iron Eyes Cody" and others, they were great in spirit and
memorable parts of my existence.

http://www.angelfire.com/mi2/gfmeteor/evidence.html

"Great Fire" of Chicago 1871 solved!

George J. Myers, Jr.