HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 1998 11:54:21 EST
See article on Northampton tanneries in last _Post-medieval Archaeology_ vol.
30 (1996) by Mike Shaw. This is really the seminal work on the industry to
date and covers very extensive excavations of early-modern tanning yards in
Northampton- still famed for its shoe and learther industry.This also has
references to other British and Dutch sites and working tanneries in N.
Africa. Mike also did a short article int he US popular journal _Archaeology_
a few years baack though I haven't the patience to find my offprint under
mounds of books. Mike is now with Cheshire county council after many years
working in Northampton..
paul courtney, leicester