HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
JOHN FLOYD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 1994 00:43:22 -0500
Crosslisted on HISTARCH, ARCH-L, and AIA-L.  You may wish to delete now.

Thanks to all who responded to my question.  Here are the replies
which had leads.  I have removed most of the salutations and the
"address/mail info".  I have kept an unretouched file if anyone
discovers material missing which they would like to have.

John Floyd
SUNY Buffalo Anthropology

Question posed:

Does any one know what use (if any) archaeologist (especially
French archaeologists) working on medieval sites have for the
*Annales* school of history (Lucien Febvre, Marc Bloch, Fernand
Braudel, Emmanuel Le Roy Ladurie, &c.)?

I am sending this to Histarch, Arch-L, and AIA-L.  Please
disseminate to other lists you believe would be appropriate.
Please send a copy of messages not posted on Histarch, Arch-L,
or AIA-L to me because I may not get them otherwise.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
John Floyd
Anthropology, University at Buffalo
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]

___________

I was glad to read your question about archaeology in France and
the
Annales school, since we have recently been trying to use an
Annales-influenced approach to medieval (and earlier) period
archaeology
in southern Burgundy.  Because of limitations on
government-issued
excavation permits and on money (what else is new), the work has
been
pretty tentative, but interesting so far.  An article by French
archaeologists who discuss Annales and its relative lack of
influence in
France is

Cleuziou, Serge, Anick Coudart, J-P Demoule, and Alain Schnapp
1991  The Use of Theory in French Archaeology.  In
*Archaeological Theory
in Europe: The Last Three Decades* edited by Ian Hodder.
Routledge.

Their opinion is that "it is striking to see how limited a role
archaeology has played in the Annales, despite Febvre and Bloch's
efforts
and Braudel's interest in medieval culture"  (page 114).  They do
mention
some Annales-based archaeological works, mostly medieval, such as

Chapelot and Fossier's *Village and House in the Middle Ages.*
Hope this helps.  What are you doing that involves archaeology
and
Annales?  I'd be interested to hear.

Tom Hargrove
Dept. of Anthropology

__________

I assume you've checked out the 2 most recent books--The Annales
School
and Archaeology, ed John Bintliff, and the more recent one by A.
Bernard
Knapp, which I've been unable to get out of the library, so I
couldn't
tell you if it's of any help. If you do assemble any kind of
bibliography, I'd be most interested in it, since I do early
medieval
(Britain), and I've started delving into the Annalistes last
year,
although I can;t say I've gotten very far.  Thanks.

               --Christine Flaherty

________

Saw your message on aia net. You should contact Bailey Young
at History Dept, Eastern Illinois. He is an American with
extensive medieval site experience in France.  He knows the
French arch
scene better than any other American I know. Also try Carole
Crumley, Anthro UNC

_________

I don't know about other people, but I certainly use the idea
of the Longue Duree and so forth in my own work (on changes
in the standard of living of peasants in Spain associated with
the end
of the Roman Empire). I have used all of the authors you
mention, and I even went so far as to meet Marc Bloch
once (though I bet he doesn't remember me!).

The problem is, I think, that most archaeologists/classicists
don't categorize themselves that way. I was always
baffled by this question (what school do you follow?)
until I started hanging out more with anthropologists.

Karen Eva Carr
History Department

Portland State University

Portland Oregon 97203

(503) 725-5472

_________

I have found that many European medieval archaeologists,
particulary
those in France and England, share basic outlook with the
Annalistes.
Braudel is a popular citation - see any of Richard Hodges's books
on
Dark Age economy.

As a medieval archaeologist working with shipwreck material, I
find
the Annaliste work on relationships between economy and social
structure
fairly useful.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Fred Hocker
Yamini Faculty Fellow in Nautical Archaeology
Texas A&M University

_______

Try:

Bintliff,J,  ed.  1991.  The Annales School and Archaeology.
Leicester
University Press, Leicester.

Knapp, B, ed.  1992.  Archaeology, Annales and Ethnohistory.
Cambridge
University Press, Cambridge.

Susan Lawrence Cheney
Archaeology