HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mark Groover <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 13:36:46 -0500
Greetings:

Here are a few more references re discussion threads from last week.

multiethnic communities/households:

Weaver, Guy, Jeffrey L. Holland, Patrick H. Garrow, and Martin B.
Reinbold
  1993  The Gowen Farmstead: Archaeological Data Recovery at Site
        40DV401 (Area D), Davidson County, Tennessee.  Submitted to
        Metropolitan Nashville Airport Authority, Nashville, Tennessee.
        Prepared by Garrow and Associates, Memphis, Tennessee.

McLeod, K. David (editor)
  1983  The Garden Site, Dklg-16: A Historical and Archaeological Study
        of a Nineteenth Century Metis Farmstead.  Department of Cultural
        Affairs and Historical Resources, Winnipeg, Manitoba.

archaeology of health:

I do not know the full citation, but the 1996 Studies in Northeast
Historical Archaeology journal contains a detailed article on a medical
equipment assemblage recovered from a pharmacy or physician's office.

also,

Blakely, Robert L. and Judith M. Harrington (editors)
  1997  Bones in the Basement: Postmortem Racism in Nineteenth-Century
        Medical Training.  Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington,   D.C.

Cabak, Melanie A., Mark D. Groover, and Scott J. Wagers
  1995  Health Care and the Wayman A.M.E. Church.  Historical
        Archaeology 29(2):55-76.

On a different matter:

In December '97 I was asked to be the editor for Features and Profiles,
the newsletter of the Archaeological Society of South Carolina.  The
newsletter is distributed six times a year.  During 1998 I hope to
include several items on historical archaeology in each newsletter.
The society also produces an annual journal, South Carolina Antiquities,
that usually contains at least one or two historical archaeology
articles per annual issue.  Everyone on the list is invited to visit
the ASSCC's webpage at http://pages.prodigy.com/assinc/index.htm ; it's
not too shabby for a privately maintained site and contains a lot of
archaeology information, links, and current issues of the newsletter.

Thanks,

Mark Groover

Mark Groover
Ph.D. Candidate, Historical Archaeology