HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sun, 5 Apr 1998 14:48:54 EDT
I think you will find there is a scattering of these costrels across NW Europe
and not just England (and Wales). I am pretty sure I remember seeing one in
Bruges Museum last year and Iceland rings a bell (but my memory for pots is
not the best). Unless John Hurst has  a list-  it will be hard work compiling
a list especially as so much material from the major European ports is
unpublished. They are not very common (even in SW England with its strong
Iberian trade connections), Certainly, they are rare compared to Martincamp
flasks from Normandy which were imported into England as empty vessels from
Rouen and Dieppe. The biggest group of starred costrels I know is 41 sherds
from Castle St, the communal town dump of Plymouth.
You should have a look at John Allan's piece (pp14-23) on Spanish imports at
Plymouth in the Waterfront site. He notes the large amount of C17 Spanish
wares at plymouth compared to other SW English ports and suggests the
triangular trade between the Newfoundland fisheries, Plymouth and western
Iberia where the fish was bartered may have been significant. Presumably the
Plymouth link is the key to their Virginian concentration. Colonists were
presumably taking these vessels with them from Plymouth or they were being
shipped out from there to the colonists in supply or trade vessels.
Refs
C. Gaskell Brown (ed), _Plymouth Excavations, Castle Street: the Pottery _,
Plymouth 1979
C. Gaskell Brown (ed), _Plymouth Excavations, The Medieval Waterfront and
Woolster Street: the Pottery _, Plymouth 1986.
W.B. Stephens, 'The West-Country ports and the struggle for the Newfoundland
fisheries in the early 17th century', _Report of the Transactions of the Devon
Association_ 88 (1956), 90-101.
regards all, paul courtney, leicester

Amy Goode for taft kiser wrote:
I'm looking for information on "starred costrels", as illustrated in
Noel Hume's MARTIN'S HUNDRED p.52 #3-12 and Hurst's POTTERY PRODUCED
AND TRADED IN NORTH-WEST EUROPE p.63-64 #28.75. In my opinion, these
were disposable bottles shipped empty for retailing wine or olive oil.