HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert L Schuyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 14:14:15 -0400
Yes, there has been work in India but, considering the potential, very
little. I recall an excavation of a British fort or way station but am
not sure if it was ever published. If someone out there has the address
of the Archaeological Survey of India that would be a good place to start.

There has also been work on nationally significant sites (buildings) from
the Mogul Period which overlap with the arrival of Europeans. There has
been a major project (but survey, I think, not excavation) on the the
great Hindu Kingdom in South Indian which was in contact with the Portuguese
but I have not heard of any European trade goods being excavated.

                                RL Schuyler