HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 15:41:24 -0400
Reported, at Fort McHenry National Monument, there was an officer's latrine,
which I was nvolved in excavating before starting Grad School, a "kidney"
shaped brick wall, "therefore" considered a "two-holer" (under brick
walkways once covered in "loose" cannons which had to be moved for the
investigation) adjacent to the "bombproof" (a brick double walled structure,
with an air space betweent the two walls in case of an explosion in the
interior space. Perhaps the "outhouse" in a right triangle attached to the
"bombproof" was not for officers at all, but for "bomb" assemblers on their
way into the small confined space. In the War of 1812, one being assempled
for the American invaders of Toronto exploded killing many including Zebulon
Pike, a western explorer like Lewis and Clark, of whom, no one knows exactly
where he's buried at Sackett's Harbor, NY on the Madison Barracks grounds I
was told after investigating the human remains found there by the Berger
Cultural Group.

The artifacts recovered may or may not coincided with any use at Fort
McHenry, all features filled in the mater of course in the various
operations of the facilities at different times almost continuous, nearby
large Civil War brick bunkers store the NPS's acquired Bowie Collection of
firearms. Sewing kits and an ironstone dinner set major "finds" I recall. It
was said the enlisted men's latrine was outside the fort, beyond the main
ramparts but perhaps adjacent to another emplacement while we worked there.

George Myers