HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Margaret Hangan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2012 12:48:16 -0700
Hi
I would suggest you look at the resources at the Basque Library at the University of Nevada, Reno.  There are a lot of great references and several Oral Histories that might be of use.  Also, if the basque associated with the boarding house were also associated with the sheep industry, if Idaho had an association like the Wool Growers Association of Arizona, their institutional documentation would be very useful if they kept good records and they are archived some place in Ida.  I know that Utah and Nevada had similar organizations, so it stands to reason that Idaho did as well.

In response to finding a large number of sheep related archaeological sites on the Kaibab National Forest of Northern Arizona, I wrote a brief paper on the sheep industry and the forest service a few months ago, if your interested in a copy.  Though there were some Basque working in the sheep industry in Northern Arizona starting around the 1900s, importing Basque sheep herders in larger numbers as temporary guest workers was not done here until the late 1940s early 1950s, or after most of the sheep herding companies started to use trailers and trucks.  Prior to that time the majority of the sheep herders were hispanic. Consequently, our "sheep camp" sites, most of which appear to have been occupied prior to WWII, were generally related to hispanic herders, rather than basque herders. ---