HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol McDavid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 14:24:04 -0700
With respect, I must take exception to Mr. Varley's posting. In his posting
to this listserv, Vergil did reveal an understandable frustration at being
misquoted and taken out of context. The main purpose of his posting,
however, was to inform us about Dr. Gott's PUBLIC response (which was very
uninformed and disrespectful to our discipline) and to encourage us to take
issue to it, if we felt so inclined. Vergil's original letter to Dr. Gott,
which perhaps Mr. Varley had not read by the time he posted his message, was
clear, reasoned, and respectful. Just because he reacted to Dr. Gott's
dismissive and inaccurate reply on this listserv -- surely a 'safe' and
supportive place to express such sentiments -- is no reason to dismiss the
importance of what he has been trying to do.

Mass media representation of what archaeology is (and isn't) IS something we
should all make time to worry about. In this case, mis-representation of the
value of HISTORICAL archaeology was also an issue. Vergil was attempting to
engage a widely-read and popular columnist in a dialogue about the
preservation of cultural resources, and to point out how the column in
question could have the effect of encouraging what most of us would call
"looting". Surely information about that attempted dialogue IS worth posting
to this listserv.

I would submit that if we do not respond to columns like Dr. Gott's -- or at
least to support our colleagues who DO take the time to do so -- we are
abdicating an important part of our responsibility to our discipline. So,
Vergil, if you want me to sign a letter, virtually or otherwise, please let
me know!

Carol McDavid

Department of Archaeology, University of Cambridge
1406 Sul Ross, Houston, Texas, 77006, USA
(713) 523-2649
www.webarchaeology.com