HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kenneth A Liss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 09:44:01 -0500
Needing an education to get a job wielding a trowel and sifting
through dirt on an archaeological site.  It seems from the postings
that we agree that it's become necessary (for better or worse).  Now
that we have that taken care of, let's go one step further and
discuss WHAT the aspiring UNDERGRAD student should take in order to
make him/herself more marketable.

I work as an advisor at a major university...in addition to assisting
in field schools, etc on my off time..so I've seen it from both
sides.  (I have an engineering BS and an Anthro MA).  It appears to
me that a straight Anthropology (or Classics, etc.) major may not
give the student all of the background skills that are necessary in
the field today.  If I was looking for a new hire I would look for
coursework (and experience?) in the following areas:

-GIS courses (taught mostly in geography depts)
-courses from Geology (soil, paleontology-to include arch methods)
-at least one field experience (including lab wrk)
-a basic survey course (usually from the Civil engineering dept...if
    the student can make it through the math reqts)
-method and theory from the appropriate dept (anth, classics, etc)
-area background (again, from the appropriate dept...anth, classics,
    history, etc.)
-I'm sure there's more...but that's all I can think of for right now.

What this is, is an individualized degree, designed by
the student to meet the goal of working as an archaeologist.  If they
want to specialize, then they can go and get the MA or PhD.  Many
schools offer the opportunity for students to design their own majors
and those who I've seen take that opportunity have both enjoyed their
coursework and done well in the job/grad school market.

As an aside, we really shouldn't get too down on the students (BA or
advanced degree) who need training when they land a job.  How many
people do you know who get a job with Procter & Gamble (or any other
place of employment) at entry level who don't need some amount of
practical training before starting the job?  The academic training
gives them the background needed to understand the concepts.  17
years ago, when I first got my commission in the Navy, I was taken
under the wing of a crusty old Warrant Officer (no degree!) and
taught how it REALLY was...I had the book knowledge, HE taught me the
nuts and bolts.  It's all part of the "growing" experience!!

Dig on!!!

Ken Liss
University of Minnesota