Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 09:50:24 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (8 lines)
Andrea makes a very fine point, and  it is to "address the educational gaps not only of students, but also of practicing archaeologists."

There is a very wide gap in the education of students and what is necessary to become a practicing archaeologist.  This is especially seen in the field of applied archaeology or cultural resource management.  It shocks me, that new field techs hired, recently graduated with anthropology, archaeology, or historical archaeology degrees, do not know what a Phase I, Phase II, or Phase III study is.  At the same time, they are clueless about federal and state laws concerning archaeological resources.  These are basic points that a student of archaeology should know!  Aside of theory, field, and analytical methods what are graduate departments teaching?  Are they really preparing students to be archaeologists? Or are they teaching students so they may be professors so they may teach students so they may be processors so they may teach students.... etc etc etc.  Anthropology departments have to realize that not all of their students will become academic professors, they might become applied archaeologists, museum curators, archaeological regulators, and yes even academic professors.  In order to prepare students for a career in archaeology, academic departments have to realize that they are other venues of employment in archaeology, instead of just being an academic professor.            

I have to thank Andrea for bringing up the point about "educational gaps" which I believe this is one of them.

Jorge

ATOM RSS1 RSS2