HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dan Mouer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 15:25:18 -0500
SouthArc wrote:

> ...Aren't all archaeological sites unique?
>
>                                                         Lucy Wayne

What??? HERESY!!! You mean really UNIQUE? Ohmygosh, whatwillwedo? Now we can't
sample. We can't spend the taxpayer's money creating endless PLANS? We can't
"write off" sites based on the ethnicity of their occupants or their fit in some
canned research design made up by government bureaucrats who haven't done any
archaeology in 15 years? Maybe we can't even make up Problem-Oriented Research
Designs based on other excavations if each site is unique and we haven't dug it
yet? Lordamighty this means we might have to recognize that archaeological sites
are significant if they are of sufficient age and of a type to raise the
interest of archaeologists and if they have sufficient integrity to actually
contribute something to history or archaeology!

By golly. It's a brilliant idea whose time has come! This is my kind of
archaeology!  :-)
--
Dan Mouer
Dept. of Sociology and Anthropology