HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"John P. Staeck" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 10:21:23 -0500
Hey, look, treasure hunting and archaeology are both often inherently
destructive.  The difference is that we archaeologists try (in theory at
least) to record the past and make it available.  Treasure hunting does not
often do this, save to make the material remains, stripped from their
context, available for sale.  If we condone this sort of activity why not
condone the huaceros in Latin America, or those guys digging in Middle
Woodland mounds?  They are, after all, treasure hunting.

Bottom line, if you want to treasure hunt do it in archaeology - record the
information and do a good job so that we can all profit in the experience.
We can debate the disposition of material remains another time, but at
least record the info no matter what any court decides - no?

cheers - john

John P. Staeck          Heart, Faith, and Skill,
Anthropology Program      With these we shall
Luther College            meet the world and vanquish
Decorah, IA  52101        those who would unjustly
[log in to unmask]       oppose us.