HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2006 03:45:36 -0500
Hey, speaking of white metals, about 45-years ago and friend and I were
pulling back the carpet in his parents old house and we found a scattering of
what appeared to be silver coins. For all intents and purposes, they were half
and quarter dollars that dated from the 1920s. But they seemed lighter than the
 silver coins we had in our pockets at the time. Since his dad was a deputy
sheriff, we asked him and he took a sample off to work. The following week, he
 returned to say he had some bad news and some good news. The bad news was
that  the coins were counterfeit. The good news was they counterfeiters used
alum,  which these days we call platinum. Apparently, in the 1920s alum was
considered  as cheap as pot metal and the risks were worth the gains for
counterfeiting  pocket change. The other bad news was that we could not keep the
counterfeit  coins.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.