HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Nancy O'Malley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 10:32:19 PST
The University of Kentucky has conducted two projects on coal towns/camps.  One is background research only on the Barthell Coal Camp in McCreary County, Kentucky by Kim McBride, and the other is archaeological investigations of the town dump in Jenkins, Ky.

McBride, Kim A.
1993    A Background archival and Oral Historical Studyof the Barthell Coal Camp, McCreary County, Kentucky.  Archaeological Report 280, Department of Anthropology, University of Kentucky, Lexington.  487 pages. $17.95

This report can be obtained by sending a request to:

University of Kentucky Program for Archaeological Research
1020A Export Street
Lexington, Ky.  40508
ATTN: Barbara Gortman

The Phase I and II Jenkins dump investigations were reported in Archaeological Report 342 (same institution as above) but the Phase III mitigation report has not been completed.  Will Updike, now in the Industrial Archaeology graduate program at Michigan Tech, gave a paper on the site; you may be able to get a copy from him as I don't think it was ever published.
Nancy O'Malley
Department of Anthropology
211 Lafferty Hall
University of Kentucky