HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert Muckle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 2004 14:25:12 -0700
I was thinking the same thing in regard to the nails being used to keep
the tub steady. To satisfy your curiosity...the metal tub appears to
have been a single piece of thin metal shaped to fit the contours of a
partly rock-lined cultural depression. I am thinking the rocks may have
originally been used to support the ofuro over a fire.
I have also found some charred wood underneath the metal.

Bob
>>> [log in to unmask] 06/12/04 1:09 PM >>>
Konnichiwa Fellow Histarchers:

I spent six months teaching anthropology in rural
Japan and saw a variety of non-western bath tubs, both
old and new.  Most were elevated higher than ours, so
that you had to step up, over, and in to get into
them.  With a wooden frame and a metal liner, the
nails could have helped keep the tub steady and tight
to the supporting deck/platform.

Out of curiousity, was there a hole to go with metal
tub or was it set completely above the ground surface?

Best wishes,

Dane Magoon