HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sun, 13 Aug 1995 20:55:54 EDT
Why Michael yooo ol' Kalamazoo son of a houndog! What in Tarnation do
we need with a bunch a book-larned anTHROpolOgissss down cheer
anyhoo? (hawker, spit, snort). Why, we got the school o' hard knocks
n' we don't need no snotty carpetbaggin yankee yoohahs tellin' us how
to do are bizness... You'nyor sort wanna come down and edUcate us
poor southrin trash, why, we'll sick ol' boss Hawg on you in
heartbeat. I suwanee I never heard such horse hockey in all my
born dayz...

Now, as to your insinuation about the unspoken reason nobody wants to
dig those ol' shantys... Probably was true ten or fifteen years ago,
but not any more. An "ethnic" context is the fastest and surest way
to get a late site considered significant by most of the SHPOs.

And Linda, Tennessee's got Larry and Alabama's got you, but then your
just displaced Virginians after all, eh? But don't forget the "rice
belt" which is extremely well served by Leland and the his colleagues
and students. Now that once was a Ph. D. program, but not any more.
And a heck of a lot of the African-American archaeology is coming
from a handful of CRM archaeologists, many of them in the South (Joe
Joseph, Pat Garrow, etc.).

And Michael, there is U.Va, U.T, U.N.C., L.S.U., and a few others
which have been turning out Ph. Ds in anthropology for decades.
Including some mighty fine archaeologists (and not a few
ethnohistorians). William and Mary's program starts up next year.

Y'all come back, yhear. Let me know'n ah'll pull out mah white trash
cookbook and scramble up a mess o' brains n'eggs...best thing t'do
with brains. Don't go rottin' 'em away in no stanking college...

Shoot, we'll be happy as pigs in...

Dan Mouer