HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Tom Langhorne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2006 08:48:05 -0400
         I've been following this thread and would like to echo Sean's
suggestion.  Railroad era logging camps in the western Great Lakes could
mimic what would be a railroad camp in other areas.

         Tom

At 07:23 PM 7/20/2006 -0400, you wrote:
>Kent,
>
>Off topic - I would not rule out that the site is a railroad era logging
>camp.  Does not rule out Italian workers.
>
>Sean
>
>Sean B. Dunham, RPA
>Commonwealth Cultural Resources Group, Inc.
>Phone:  517-788-3550 / FAX:  517-788-6594
>e-mail:  [log in to unmask]
>http://www.ccrginc.com

>Smoke,
>
> From some of the responses I've been getting, I'm leaning towards Italian
> immigrant railroad workers as the possible source of the oven at the
> site.  To be able to assign a structure or artifact to a particular
> ethnic group is very interesting and something that is usually difficult
> to do.  Perhaps this case will prove to be the exception.
>Thanks,
>

>Kent
>
>Smoke <[log in to unmask]> wrote: When I worked on the Kootenai Forest,
>we had them along the Northern
>Pacific railroad.  Local had called them "Chinese Ovens" for years.
>Research had showed them to be along many of the railroad lines in the
>western states.  They are known in the northern Mediterranean from
>Spain, France, Italy, the Balkans, and Greece.
>
>If anyone wants so see what one looks like, the Early Arkansas
>Reenactors Association has built one at the Historic Site of Cadron
>Settlement along the Arkansas River.  This one was built with a base
>since so many of us are "getting on in years" and it is easier than
>bending over.  We use it a LOT.  Mostly for Pizza but for bread, pies
>and cobbler, too.
>
>http://www.arkie.net/%7Eeara/Building%20a%20Wood%20Fired%20Oven.html
>
>Smoke.
>

>On 7/19/06, Kent Taylor  wrote:
> > In doing an archaeological survey in Wisconsin, one our crews came upon
> what
> > they described as a railroad camp that included the ruins of a
> > beehive-shaped stone cooking oven and a great deal of faunal material,
> > especially bovine.  Has anyone else come across a similar situation?
> And how
> > was it explained.  Thanks.
> >

> > Kent Taylor
> >

>--
>Smoke Pfeiffer
>
>Absence of Evidence is NOT Evidence of Absence
>

>Kent C. Taylor, M.A., RPA
>Project Archaeologist
>Commonwealth Cultural Resources Group, Inc.
>Phone (248) 362-3038
>Fax (248) 362-3038
>E-Mail [log in to unmask]
>
>---------------------------------
>Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls.  Great
>rates starting at 1ยข/min.

W. Thomas Langhorne, Jr., Ph.D.                         [log in to unmask]
Pre-Health Professions Advisor                  (phone) 607-777-6305
Adjunct Assistant Professor-Anthropology                (fax) 607-777-2721
Binghamton University
P.O. Box 6000
Binghamton, NY   13902-6000
http://prehealth.binghamton.edu/

This message and any attachments may contain information that is protected
by law as privileged and confidential, and is transmitted for the sole use
of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying or retention of
this e-mail or the information contained herein is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the
sender by e-mail, and permanently delete this e-mail.