HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lauren Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 2005 08:33:29 -0400
They've been around for quite some time, Ron.  Carbon arc lamps use them.
Because use involves arcing current between two of them, they degrade (I
forget whether the + or - pole degrades faster), and are usually easily
replaceable elements of the lamp. The Parks Canada lighting devices book
discusses them, and may have dates.

The ones I've seen appeared to be molded.