HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 07:00:57 +0100
I am beginning to think about the database I will need for my research
degree (at York, into transmission processes of the short wall tie).
I have used MIDAS to build the concept - now I need to find a cheap way
of building the database.  (MIDAS is a manual and data standard for
monument inventories) My database will be relational - I am going to use
several MIDAS information schemes:
Names and References: this is the information about entries - such as
compiler, and is needed for all inventories.
Monument Character: this is the principle focus of the inventory
Events: No
Bibliography, Documentary Archives and Objects: yes, this is the second
focus of the inventory
Monument Management Activities:  This is not needed
Location: This is needed, and possibly with GIS
People, Organizations and Roles: yes

I seem to be allergic to Microsoft products (although I like their
trackball), so while I'm going on an Access training course in a couple
of weeks, and am forced to use it by my employer, I think that this will
probably Not Do for my research.
I quite liked Lotus Approach, and had begun work on moving my
bibliography on to it*, when I discovered that 'undo' doesn't work 100%
AND it auto-saves ... thus one foolish global edit, and three hours work
disappear!

Can anyone recommend a database which is
a) cheap (cheap = under 100GBP)
b) suitable for someone who likes to do her saves herself.  Multiple
saves under different names, if she isn't sure how sure she is about a
change she's just made.  And likes to have the 'oh, no, I've got this
screwed up, I'll just quit this mess now and go back to the last save
when it was OK' option.

Many thanks,

Pat

*From Locofile.  Yes, the flat database developed for the PCW.  At least
it doesn't loose you hours work.  At best, it is great at handling Welsh
and Dutch place names.
--
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)