HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 15:55:13 -0500
Many of my Aunts and Uncles were kids in Iowa farm country c. 1905.  They
always called privies "outhouses."   In fact, listening to their stories, it
always seemed to me that they had built an entire culture around "outhouse"
pranks and other 4th grade humor that involved human excrement.  There were
never any treats on Halloween, but many a trick that involved pulling
outhouses down the main street of town, or relocating them to the top of a
water tower.

All I can say, is that it must get very boring in the off-season on the
plains!

Linda Derry
Site Director
Old Cahawba Archaeological Site