HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 16:57:31 -0400
Interestingly, there used to be a large concrete white duck along the side
of the road out on the eastern end of Long Island, not far from the county
seat Riverhead, and Flanders, NY (please, a post office there Mr. Postman)
that was a local landmark selling groceries (milk and eggs and like the
franchise "Dairy Barn" that grew up, a double door drive-through in many
pkaces on Long Island). The duck was moved to a local park as part of a deal
with a developer. The developer didn't and the people want the duck returned
to the public purview(?) once said even sited by low flying airplanes from
nearby airfields as a visual guide. I unfortunately was part of the survey I
think, and saw "The (Peking) Duck" (many local duckfarms for meat and duck
down) up on jacks before it was moved, or the empty space afterwards. I
don't think they ever sold "chicks" there. Nearby was the "Black Duck Lodge"
which operated in the 19th century, kept daily weather records, and had many
"mysterious" names in the register, like some national politicians kin (VP's
brother, etc.) now part of county holdings and early settlement of the
Hubbard family, some duck farmers. My elementary school teacher, Mr. Hubbard
lived nearby and attended Notre Dame U., selling World Book encyclopedias
door to door, though handicapped in that regard, a college boxer also. I
think I got hyperbole from him. Sir Edmund Hillery was affiliated with the
World Book then and visited our school classrooms and built classrooms in
Nepal. Would this qualify as a giant "chick sale"?

George Myers