HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"G. Alcock" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 10:33:42 -0700
Funny you should mention this.

The American Dialect Society has a very active list
(archives: http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/ads-l.html )
, and on August 29, 2004, there was an antedate (an earlier citation) of the Oxford English
Dictionary's entry on "Moving Day" (qv), May 1st in New York and New Jersey.

The OED had 1850s. The researcher was able to find a reference in 1830 which also explains the
custom, and which you might be able to cite.

Flinders should have an unabridged OED somewhere on campus, if you can't cite the 1830 reference
for reasons of scholarship. However, the poster of the 1830 antedate (Barry Popick, a judge in New
York's traffic court) is a well-respected avocational researcher. Others trust his posts. (He does
get a little testy when people don't fully research their antedates, however.)

Here's the entry I found, but that was only a quick search:
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0408E&L=ads-l&P=R1295

I recommend you check also the pre-1999 ADS-L archives from the link on the home page's recent
archive.

You might also have a linguist on campus whom you can bother to search the "Early American
Newspaper" archives. I am not familiar with them, but I understand they are subscription-only, and
have some quirks that make researching them a challenge.

Gwyn Alcock
Statistical Research, Inc.
Redlands, California