HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Andrew Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:17:11 -0400
Smoke's point about his professor's advice on what's required to get a job
in archaeology was still valid ten years ago, when it was echoed to me by my
archaeology professor at Oakland Univeristy in Michigan. I'm not sure he was
aware that temporary field technician positions existed, and I sure as heck
didn't, since he was essentially my sole source for advice on archaeology at
the time. I will say that the management experience I gained in the
non-archaeology jobs I held down between recieving my BA and MS has come in
pretty handy as a professional archaeologist, though.

As far as what makes an archaeologist, it seems to me that it will never be
a black and white definition. To me, performing the work using a rigorous
methodology and making a point to communicate the results of your findings
to your colleagues on a somewhat regular basis is more important than what
sorts of intitials follow your name.

cheers,
Andrew R. Sewell, MS, RPA
Principal Investigator