HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 2010 21:34:49 -0500
Andrew,

Photo IMG 1828 the middle sherd with the black line appears to be a rim
sherd, possibly to a saucer, of if there is a marley, then it would be to a
muffin or small plate.  If the line is just below the rim, it is not an
annular ware which the potters would call "dipt" ware.  The red painted
sherd appears to be to a "London" or "Grecian" shape cup or small bowl.  The
red would be a chrome color and date after 1830.  If I am correct on the
shape, then it probably would be before 1840.  Thinner cups toward the 1830
date, thicker toward the later date.  The blue-on-blue painted sherd is to a
saucer and would most likely date from ca 1818 to ca 1830.

Image IMG 1752, the top left sherd is sponge ware, the one next to it is
shell edge.

For  some good information on these wares visit the MAC lab web site under
painted wares.  "Diagnostic Artifacts in Maryland", see Underglaze Painted
Earthenwares.

You might want to look at "Telling Time for Archaeologists" in *Northeast
Historical Archaeology* volume 29:1-22.  By George L. Miller, Patricia
Samford, Ellen Shlasko and Andrew Madsen.

"How Creamware got the Blues: The origins of China Glaze and Pearlware" by
George L. Miller and Robert Hunter in *Ceramics in America 2001*, pages
135-161 is available on the Chipstone Website.

The SHA's reader *Approaches to Material Culture Research for Historical
Archaeologists* compiled by David R. Brauner would be a good book to add to
your library.  It appears you need to do some background reading from the
questions being asked.

 Peace,
George L. Miller