HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol McDavid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 09:19:59 -0700
Iain,
You can import into EndNote from a tab-delimited text file, but you have to
do a whole lot of editing and formatting...it's explained in detail in the
documentation, but I've tried it, and I think it's easier overall to just
re-enter the data directly into EndNote. That's extremely easy and fast,
because you are just filling in fields, not having to insert punctuation and
so forth like you do when writing a bibliography by hand.

As to a template for Historical Archaeology, version 3 didn't have one, but
the last time I wrote something for that journal I just used a template that
was similar and then edited it by hand to make it work. It took some
tweaking but it was still easier retyping each and every reference. There
are a number of other templates in EndNotes for other archaeology journals,
but I don't recall offhand whether the one I used as my starting point was
for an archaeology journal or something else. You just have to experiment --
let me know off list if you want more on this. I just received the
announcement about Version 4, so perhaps it includes a template for HA (is
Ronn Michaels listening? perhaps he could persuade ISI ResearchSoft to
include one in the next version!).

Another option is to use that same starting-point template and then
customize your own for HA. The EndNote documentation is quite good about
explaining how to do that, and even though it's time-consuming, you'd then
have the template ready for use anytime. Then of course if you wanted to
offer it to other EndNotes users we'd be most grateful!!

Best,

carol mcdavid

Carol McDavid
Department of Archaeology, University of Cambridge
1406 Sul Ross, Houston, Texas, 77006, USA
(713) 523-2649
www.webarchaeology.com