HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Edward F. Heite" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2000 06:18:22 -0400
History as used by historical archaeologists is not the same as history as
used by historians. The problem, as I see it, is that most history teachers
are unprepared to teach history as a social science. There is, of course, a
common body of knowledge, but pitiful few historians will venture into the
areas of historical research that are the very basis for what we do. On the
other hand, an equally pitiful handful of archaeologists are competent in
using documentary sources and merging archaeology into the historical
narrative. There is excessive narrowness of outlook on both sides.

Ned Heite ([log in to unmask])