HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 1998 10:23:46 -0500
To:  Richard H. Kimmel

ARCHEOLOGICAL RESOURCE PROTECTION by Sherry Hutt, Elwood Jones, and Martin
McAllister, published in 1992, is available through the publisher, the
National Trust for Historic Preservation, 1-800-766-6847.  The book costs
about $20.  While the book carries an excellent history of archeological
protection laws, the section on law enforcement investigative methods is a
bit slim.  Because of the book's publication date, it doesn't survey the
last six years' worth of ARPA cases and the lessons learned from them.

A single law enforcement text on investigations of archeological resources
theft has yet to be written, particularly one that discusses not just
federal laws and enforcement protocol, but state and local examples as
well.  Nevertheless, some useful literature for law enforcement audiences
exists, to wit:

1.  My own recent article, "Time Crime:  Protecting the Past for Future
Generations,"  FBI LAW ENFORCEMENT BULLETIN, 66.7 (July 1997), pp. 1-7.
You can of course reproduce this one without copyright problems.

2.  George S. Smith, John E. Ehrenhard, eds., PROTECTING THE PAST, CRC
Press, Inc., Boca Raton, Florida, 1991.  Useful articles in this volume
include:  "The destruction of archaeological sites and data" by Paul R.
Nickens; "Some dimensions of the pothunting problem," by Thomas F. King;
and "Looting and vandalism of archaeological resources on federal and
Indian lands in the United States," by Martin E. McAllister.  This book,
still in print, retails for about $50 in hardback.  Publisher's number:
1-800-272-7737.

3.  Charles R. Swanson, Neil C. Chamelin, and Leonard Territo, CRIMINAL
INVESTIGATION, 5th edition, McGraw-Hill, Inc., New York, 1992.  The chapter
on the looting of archeological sites contains the best published guide on
investigative methods for law enforcement officers that I know of.

4.  Carol L. Carnett, Esq., A SURVEY OF STATE STATUTES PROTECTING
ARCHEOLOGICAL RESOURCES, Archeological Assistance Study No. 3, Aug 1995,
pub. jointly by the US Dept of the Interior/National Park Service,
Archeological Assistance Division, and the National Trust for Historic
Preservation.  While this book is not aimed at law enforcers, it's the best
state-by-state examination of archeological protection laws and includes
criminal ones.  Call NPS at 202-343-4101 to find out about availability of
copies.  Sells for around $5 each.

5.  U.S. Department of Agriculture publication, VANDALISM:  RESEARCH,
PREVENTION AND SOCIAL POLICY, General Technical Report PNW-GTR-293, Nov 92.
 Perhaps not the most useful publication for deriving investigative
strategies for law enforcement officers, this pub nevertheless has
insightful articles about vandalism, incl. at least one on vandalism of
rock art.

6.  The National Park Service, Departmental Consulting Archeologist, has
tried to build a database of looting cases under the label, Listing of
Outlaw Treachery (LOOT) Information Clearinghouse.  You might contact
Richard Waldbauer at 202-343-4101.

I teach law enforcers to investigate thefts of and vandalism to
historic/archeological resources.  Would be glad to share my stuff, much of
it which derives from the federal Archaeological Resources Protection
Program.  Give me a call at 804-786-8421 or email me.

Robert Hicks, Law Enforcement Services Section
Va. Dept of Criminal Justice Services