HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 2004 09:56:49 -0400
I left out another couple of things. There is a company in the Midwest of the US that makes a number of different types of post hole diggers (p.h.d.'s) and they are unbelievable! I was hunting around for a U-Haul post hole digger which one could rent (even toboggans) which was made out of tubing like automobile exhaust pipe, which crossed over twice. It allowed one with very little lateral movement to dig to great depths. We used it to go through 11' of clean fill in a well in January near the former JP Morgan summer house site, now wildlife recovery center and Dutchess county park along the Hudson river, Bowdoin Park while under a greenhouse (lookout sewer plant coming through!). U-Haul no longer had them, from the Midwest also. Those other p.h.d.'s reminded me of the differences of technique in soil sampling between Russian and "Western" tools.

Nothing like looking for wheels for greenhouses in January! (West Point Foundry, Cold Spring, NY).

Happy Labor Day in the US.

George Myers