HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"De Vore, Steven" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2013 11:43:30 -0600
The National Park Service conducted investigations at the "Horse Cemetery"
at Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument in 2002 (Douglas D. Scott
2002, Archeological Investigations of the "Horse Cemetery" Site, Little
Bighorn Battlefield National Monument).  The 1876 battle-related horse
skeletal remains were deposited in 1881 during the installation of the
Seventh Cavalry memorial on Last Stand Hill.

A little closer to home on the farms in southern Iowa, we have buried
horses in an area in one of the pastures near the barnyard.

Steve

--
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data.
    (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, "Scandal in Bohemia")

Steven L. De Vore, Archeologist
National Park Service
Midwest Archeological Center
Federal Building, Room 474
100 Centennial Mall North
Lincoln, NE 68508-3859  USA

Phone: (402) 437-5392, ext. 141
Fax: (402) 437-5098
Email: *[log in to unmask]* <[log in to unmask]>
Website: *http://www.cr.nps.gov/mwac/* <http://www.cr.nps.gov/mwac/>