HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Doms, Keith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2006 16:49:55 -0400
Who am I?

I have been doing archaeology in the Mid-Atlantic area since my senior
year in high school (1978).  I received my BA in Anthropology from the
University of Delaware in 1984 and ran the archaeology labs at the U of
D for 20 years.  I now work for an engineering firm based in
Philadelphia doing CRM work.   I don't specialize in either historic or
Native American archaeology as my work has required me to do both in
equal amounts.  I have extensive experience analyzing oyster shells, and
some in faunal analysis as well.  I love studying technology. I enjoy
both field work and lab work, preferably neither too long.

Dirtiest time?

How about spending several hours in a room full of dremestid beetles
stripping and cleaning skeletons.  While not visible soiled, the stench
permeated my tyveck suite and clothes.  I had to strip off out side my
house before my wife would let me in.

Suggested Clothing

Floppy hat, loose light canvas pants (winter: flannel lined blue jeans
from Cabela's) , smart wool socks, ankle high boots with moderate tread,
shirts variable depending on weather.  Swiss army knife in belt sheath,
pencil and sharpie also in belt sheath.

Keith R. Doms

Archaeologist

McCormick Taylor