HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Tom Langhorne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2006 08:16:25 -0400
         Here's an interesting point:  What's your definition of
temporary?  Railroad logging camps, at least in the western Great Lakes,
could have a life span of 5 years, give or take.  This is based on
informant interviews (conducted in 1970s-early 1980s)/ethnohistoric
accounts/company documents.  This was considered long term, at least by
accounts I've seen.  The remaining characteristics (size, layout, etc.)
that you mention I agree with. I'm not sure how these characteristics would
compare with railway logging camps in other regions, however.

         Tom

At 03:17 AM 7/22/2006 -0400, you wrote:
>A section camp will typically consist of a section foreman's house,
>bunkhouse, car shed, tool shed and any other additional outbuildings
>deemed necessary
>for maintenance work.   These structures, especially the section foreman's
>house would have been associated with a localized landscape similar to a
>farmstead
>as there was typically domestic production associated.   Logging camps,
>depending on the size would have had a more temporary imprint on the
>landscape and
>usually would have served a larger population than the maximum of
>approximately eight individuals that would have been in a section camp
>during the busy
>season (it could fluctuate greatly based on demand).   Logging camps would
>have
>evidence of loading apparatus (platforms, A frames, Spar poles, etc), at
>least
>a passing siding on the railroad (section camps often did not as there was no
>reason for them), and other infrastructural features to service active
>logging
>and loading.   Section camps on the other hand are small yet permanent with
>none of these extra features.   I hope this very brief overview is of some
>aid
>and it is nice to be talking about a subject so near and dear to my heart on
>histarch!   :-)
>
>Stathi

>Efstathios I. Pappas, MS
>Doctoral Student
>Department of Anthropology/096
>University of Nevada, Reno
>Reno, NV 89557
>(775) 323-5730

W. Thomas Langhorne, Jr., Ph.D.                         [log in to unmask]
Pre-Health Professions Advisor                  (phone) 607-777-6305
Adjunct Assistant Professor-Anthropology                (fax) 607-777-2721
Binghamton University
P.O. Box 6000
Binghamton, NY   13902-6000
http://prehealth.binghamton.edu/

This message and any attachments may contain information that is protected
by law as privileged and confidential, and is transmitted for the sole use
of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying or retention of
this e-mail or the information contained herein is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the
sender by e-mail, and permanently delete this e-mail.