HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Alasdair Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2006 02:06:15 -0500
A little behind the times here - I've been in the field recently.

1) Who are you?
Alasdair Brooks, A post-doctoral research fellow at La Trobe University,
Melbourne, Australia and lab archaeologist/material culture person who has
also previously worked in the UK and the eastern USA.  Most Histarchers
probably know me better in one of those previous UK or US incarnations.

I've been on histarch since 1994 or 1995, though I'm considerably quieter
these days than I used to be, largely because

A - I now subscribe to the digest version, which makes immediate
unnecessarily snide off-the-cuff answers less of a temptation

B - Histarch's a lot tamer these days than it was in the first 5 years or so.

2) Dirtiest moment in the field.
I was working on a phase II contract project in upstate New York as a mere
field tech.  Our site supervisor kept shouting 'keep everything' when
questioned about modern plastic, etc. found on or near the surface.  My
field partner and I found ourselves digging test pits near what had
clearly been the ad hoc toilet for the phase 1 crew.  One shovelfull in,
and I had soiled toilet paper in my screen.  I jokingly called out 'do we
need to keep....'  Before I even finished, the supervisor called out 'keep
everything!.  So I did, and I bagged the paper.

Problem was, by the time that bag made it into the lab, I'd made the
transition from field tech to lab rat, and guess whose desk that bag
landed on?

It was a particularly lurid shade of purply green by then.

3) Your idea of the best dressed archaeologist, i.e. what practical
gear should they be wearing?

When in the field in a hot Australian summer, near that nasty Antarctic
ozone layer hole, I wear - in no particular order...
A - A flexible lightweight leather hat I picked up in Marrakesh in 1989
B - One of two long-sleeved green shirts, worn buttoned or unbuttoned
(depending on temperature) over...
C - A plain (usually) t-shirt.
D - Plenty of sunscreen on the exposed bits, even if I do spend most of my
time in an artefact tent/trailer
E - light sensitive glasses with transition lenses

I never wear shorts.  Men always look stupid in shorts.  There are no
exceptions.

Alasdair