HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Denis Gojak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2000 13:16:07 +1000
Bob Schuyler wrote (in part) that:

'Anthropology because of its long tradition of holism, comparative
studies, global persepctive, field-lab research orientation, ties to both the
sciences and humanities, interest in material culture and powerful ties to
general archaeology is not only the most available housing it is also an
excellent current and future base for the discipline.'

It has always baffled me that the formal academic links between archaeology and geography have never been strong.  They share all of the characteristics Bob lists above, and especially that struggle with that duality of humanism / science.  Any sample of geography journals highlights the breadth of their discipline with a paper on the human geography of migrant unemployment patterns next to something about Pleistocene glacial tills next to a postmod excurision on texts of space.

When I was taught by the Mother of Australian Historical Archaeology back in the olden days it was a one year course that was deliberately not housed within any department at the University of Sydney.  It was an interdepartmental program with Judy Birmingham (then primarily engaged as a researcher on Middle East), historians, architects and geographers. I was told that the rationale for creating this one year undergrad. course, which was only offered every second year was to allow those who studied archaeology or prehistoric anthropology as a minor course component to still get the chance to undertake fieldwork and to get their hands dirty.  this was very attractive in a university where field opportunities to the Middle East or Greek programs of the department were the preserve of honours students following significant toadying (or so it seemed to the rest of us).

As those doing prehistory (offered within an anthropology department structured on the American model) got fieldwork opportunities anyway it helps to explain why the first fifteen years of historical archaeology practitioners coming out of Sydney Univeristy (i.e. most of those in Australia) had primarily a classical / Middle Eastern background and there were only two or three of us with [prehistoric] anthropology degrees.  Although that has completely changed since about 1990 with amalgamations of departments and courses, the effect of the different undergraduate pathways still, I think, exerts an inordinate impact upon the nature of Australian historical archaeology.

Denis Gojak

PS. Bob, don't feel singled out by Judy Birmingham - she's never returned my bloody calls either.